- Data transmission speed increases by 13%, with better energy efficiency
- Applying HKMG process to DRAM maximizes product performance
- “SK hynix will drive technology development, aiming to be a game-changer in the industry”
Seoul, South KoreaJan. 25, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — SK hynix Inc. (or “the company”, www.skhynix.com) today announced that it has developed the world’s fastest mobile DRAM, LPDDR5T (Low Power Double Data Rate 5 Turbo)’ and provided product samples to customers.
The new product, LPDDR5T, operates at a data rate of 9.6 gigabits per second (Gbps), 13% faster than the previous generation LPDDR5X* unveiled in November 2022. To highlight the maximum speed of the product features, SK hynix added “Turbo” at the end of the LPDDR5 standard name.
* LPDDR: Low Power DRAM for mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets, aimed at minimizing power consumption and providing low voltage operation. LPDDR5X DRAM is the 7th generation product, succeeding the series of such which ends with 1, 2, 3, 4, 4X and 5. LPDDR5T is a new version developed by SK hynix, which is an upgraded product of the 7th generation (5X) before the development of the 8th generation LPDDR6.
The LPDDR5T, which operates in the ultra-low voltage range of 1.01 to 1.12 V defined by JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council), is a product that not only offers maximum speed, but also power consumption. ultra-low energy.
“The company has pushed the technology to new limits in just two months after the market introduction of LPDDR5X, a mobile DRAM with an 8.5 Gbit/s specification. November 2022“, said SK hynix. “We will consolidate our leadership in the mobile DRAM market by providing products of different storage capacities that meet customer needs.”
SK hynix said it has provided customers with sample 16-gigabyte (GB) multi-chip packages, which combine multiple LPDDR5T chips into a single package. The packaged product can process 77 GB of data per second, which is equivalent to transferring fifteen FHD (Full-HD) movies in one second.
SK hynix plans to start mass production of LPDDR5T using 1anm, the fourth generation of 10nm technology, in the second half of the year.
Meanwhile, SK hynix has once again incorporated the HKMG (High-K Metal Gate)* process into the latest product which has brought the new product to the best performance, and expects LPDDR5T , which has significantly widened the technology gap, “to lead the market ahead of the development of the next generation of LPDDR6.”
* HKMG: A next-generation process that uses a material with a high dielectric constant (K) in the insulating film inside DRAM transistors to prevent leakage currents and improve capacitance. It reduces power consumption while increasing speed. SK hynix had become the first in the industry to integrate the process into mobile DRAM in November 2022.
The IT industry foresees an increasing demand for memory chips with advanced specifications as the market for 5G smartphones develops further. In this trend, SK hynix expects the application of LPDDR5T to expand beyond smartphones to artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning and augmented/virtual reality (AR/VR). ).
“With the development of the LPDDR5T, the company has responded to customer demand for high-performance products,” said Sungsoo Ryu, Head of DRAM Product Planning at SK hynix. “We will continue to work on technology development to lead the market for next-generation semiconductors and be a game changer in the computing world.”
About SK hynix Inc.
SK hynix Inc., headquartered in Korea, is the world’s leading semiconductor supplier offering dynamic random access memory (“DRAM”) chips, flash memory (“NAND flash”) chips and sensors CMOS image (“CIS”) for a wide range of distinguished customers worldwide. The shares of the Company are traded on the Korea Stock Exchange and the shares of Global Depository are listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange. More information about SK hynix can be found at www.skhynix.com, news.skhynix.com.
SK hynix Inc.
Global Public Relations
See original content to download multimedia: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sk-hynix-develops-worlds-fastest-mobile-dram-lpddr5t-301726795.html
Source: SK hynix Inc.